Friday, October 20, 2006

Day 3- My Cross Country Adventure...

It's 12 midnight in San Jose CA as I write this...so 3AM where I came from.

I left my conference in Baltimore around 3:15PM. I set the GPS for
Reagan International Airport and after missing a turn or two due to
heavy traffic I finally got to the airport around 5...one hour before my
6PM departure.

I'd been to BWI 4 or 5 times this year but this was my first trip out of
Reagan so it wasn't as familiar to me. I felt a little rushed handing
the car back in and getting on the shuttle for the terminal...since I
didn't know what the line situation would be.

No waiting at the Frontier Airlines counter...my bag was the exact same
weight as when I weighed it in Albany....so I haven't accumulated too
much junk yet.

Next it was getting through security. I walked all the way down to the
WRONG gate....it was the gate for my connection in Denver....so back
down the long corridor I go. No lines at security and I got right
through....and once again walked right onto the plane!! Me thinks I'm
cutting it way too close...two for two.

I chose Frontier Airlines for two reasons...newer planes and 24 channels
of Direct TV in the seats. I'd flown them once before a few years ago
from Vegas and was very happy with them. Well, my bag was a few hours
late but I can forgive a lot when there is TV involved.

I had a middle seat on this 3 hour and 40 minute flight. Turned out it
wasn't so bad. Neither of my seat mates were very talkative...one was
reading a book by former Notre Dame Football coach Lou Holtz and the
other, some sort of riveting document called "Linking Housing Growth To
Water Supply" No wonder he dozed off.

Didn't they realize they could watch TV?????

I ordered a pay per view movie called Nacho Libre...a Jack Black movie
from the Summer. It won't win any Oscars but the wrestling scenes were
funny and made 90 minutes of the flight go pretty fast. After that I
watched exactly what I would have watched if I was home...the Direct TV
feed was from NY.

The landing in Denver was the smoothest landing I can ever remember.
Amazing.

I had 90 minutes before my next flight so I made some calls and checked
my email and got on the flight to San Jose.

On this flight there was a seat between me and my seatmate....and she
read a book too!!! What is it with these people? I watched The Tonight
Show and Conan O'Brien and we were just about here.

A nice feature of Frontier's TVs is the live map channel. It
approximates where you are on a map...and tells you the speed and altitude.

My cousin Nancy picked me up a few minutes after 11 and I'm staying with
her tonight in the Willow Glen area of San Jose. She has a whole list
of errands for me to run tomorrow. The GPS will come in handy again!

I don't travel again till Sunday afternoon when I head for Salt Lake
City. So look for a new update late on Sunday night.

Thanks for reading!

Leo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home